It is necessary to illuminate the vehicle that represents an obstacle in the road or to place the reflective triangles only when safety conditions allow it. In 2016, road mishaps increased by 16% compared to the previous year. A few situations that make many cars an obstacle for the rest of the road users, so a car parked on the road must always be signaled as quickly as possible.
In order for this action to be carried out without jeopardizing the security of the occupants of the stopped vehicle and being carried out in an appropriate manner, the startup Vitoria Help Flash has summarized some of the keys to action:
1. Move away so as not to disturb: Whenever possible, the vehicle should be stopped on the shoulder and act calmly so that the emergency is as dangerous and uncomfortable as possible. In case the road does not have a shoulder, it is best to leave it as far as possible on the right side, bearing in mind that it is necessary to avoid exits of curves, changes of grade or areas of poor visibility.
2. Activate the emergency lights: If the fault occurs on the motorway or highway, in low visibility conditions or between sunrise and sunset, in addition to turning on the emergency lights, the position lights will also start up, and in its case, those of gauge. However, much of the damage to the vehicles is electrical, which makes it impossible to use warnings and wired devices, so the vehicle will not be visible to other drivers. To avoid this type of situation, it is necessary to have a luminous device that allows the car to be signaled without having to have an electricity point.
3. Put on the reflective vest: Once the vehicle has been placed in a suitable area, the regulations require the driver to put on the reflective vest before getting off the car. A rule that makes it essential to always keep this garment inside the car. Also, and although it is not mandatory that the rest of occupants also wear with the vest, if they do they can avoid possible abuses.
4. Place the safety triangles: This is where we enter one of the most unknown terrains for most drivers, not only when calculating distances, but also in their obligatory nature. Many people who sit behind the wheel do not know that, in case of immobilization of the vehicle due to breakdown or accident, it is not obligatory to use the pre-signaling triangles if the conditions of visibility or traffic prevent it or are not safe.
When the conditions of circulation allow its use, the law forces to place the triangles 50 meters from the damaged vehicle, that is to say about 80 steps. However, this obligation will be such only when from that point it can be visible at a distance of 100 meters (twice the distance that separates us from our vehicle). This separation will guarantee greater safety and allow other drivers to react in time and move with caution before reaching the height of the obstacle. This circumstance usually occurs when the damaged vehicle stops at a grade or a curve, where it is advisable to place it at the beginning of the section.
5. Be safe and ask for help: Once the vehicle has been signaled with reflective material, it's time to get safe. Both the driver and the occupants must not be in an area where they do not distract the rest of the drivers, nor do they pose a new obstacle, and always off the road.
In addition, it is time to ask for help. It is important to identify yourself and the more detailed the information provided, the greater the probability that the services will arrive as soon as possible, both to attend to the injured and to remove the damaged vehicle from the road and to restore circulation.